I LOVE carrot cake. It's the perfect cake to bake at Easter. But it takes a long long time to bake and cupcakes are so much more fun for kids to make! I know my two love spooning the mixture into the cases and decorating each cake!
So when I came across a recipe for carrot cake cup cakes, I was so excited! These only take 25 minutes to bake and honestly, tasted amazing. We used butterscotch icing and some little sugar decorations I found in Tesco. If you want to know how I made them, scroll down!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 275g/9¾oz caster sugar
- 200ml/7fl oz sunflower oil
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- about 300g/10½oz grated carrot, a little more or less is fine
- up to 150g/5½oz nuts or dried fruit (optional)
- 225g/8oz spelt or wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line the pockets of a muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Beat the sugar, oil and eggs in mixing bowl until smooth, then stir in the grated carrot and, if you like, up to 150g/5½oz chopped nuts, dried fruit, or a mixture of both.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, spices and cocoa so that they're evenly mixed, then tip this into the carrot mixture and stir well.
- Fill the muffin papers to about two-thirds full, then bake for about 25 minutes, or until a skewer poked in comes out almost clean.